About the abbey
Welcome to Keizersberg Abbey, where everyone feels at home
Anyone needing renewal and quiet time loves to come here. And for students, too, Keizersberg is the place to be. They are looking for sustainable connection, with themselves and others. Keizersberg is a beacon of peace and reflection, in a world dominated by chaos and complexity.
Above all the courtyard, an oasis surrounded by four imposing wings of the abbey, appears to be a dynamic meeting place for cross-pollination among the worldly and the contemplative. A magnet for surprise and discovery. Because we are all different, each with our own motivations and our own story. And at the same time, we are all looking for the essential, for what substantially connects us.
Keizersberg also lends its name to an old legend. Julius Caesar is believed to have attended the wedding of his niece, here, on this ironstone-like hill. Other sources state that the Emperor Charles V once established a zoo here.
What we do know is that at the end of the 19th century, the abbey was built on the ruins of a medieval ducal fortress. The abbey entered official use in 1899 with 9 Benedictine monks. Initially the building served as student housing for the students of the abbey school of Maredsous and other monasteries. Since 1968, Keizersberg has provided accommodation to 75 university students of the Catholic University of Leuven. And it still fulfils the role of student residence today, … and soon, after the renovation of the peda, to become even more dedicated. Caring and protective, contemporary and worldly, unusual and hospitable.